Magazine Cover Review
I don't read magazines as much as I used to but I never really noticed how magazines have a theme and a target audience. Every magazine targets specific people and try their hardest to get the readers attention. One of the magazines I viewed was "Cosmopolitan" this magazine you could definitely tell was all geared towards sex, fashion, entertainment, and careers. On the cover there was a very pretty girl with the first word that pops out being "sexy". The colors of the lettering on the cover also match the girls outfit. I believe the target audience here was females. Another magazine that I viewed was "Better Homes and Gardens" this magazine was themed Halloween for the season. The magazines titles are orange just like the picture of pumpkins on the cover. This magazines target audience seems to be moms or very creative people looking for a cool project to do for the season.
One magazine I viewed was "Vogue". This magazine right on the cover you can tell is very elegant and geared towards fashion. On the cover "rebel" is in big letters which may draw an audience. The lettering on the first page all matches the colors of the lady on the cover. This brand is known for fashion and lifestyle which you can see the theme throughout the magazine. the audience for this magazine I believe would be very fashionable women. Another magazine was "Oprah" this magazine has "Oprah" very bold on the cover this is the first thing the reader sees. The colors of the titles are very bright and happy. The picture on the cover is also spreads a happy vibe. This magazine you can tell is geared toward helping women have happier healthier life. This magazine makes the reader look at the positives throughout the magazine.
The last magazine I want to share is "Food and Wine". The cover page really grabs people attention because they decided to put a tasty dish that everyone wants to try. I think this magazines target audience is people who love to come home and have a nice meal with some wine. This magazine definitely keeps their theme of food and wine throughout their magazines.
From the article "Chances are you won't bother" it states "Most magazines now resemble movie posters more closely than they do the dry pages of a book. They are filled with color, oversized headlines, graphics, photos, and pull quotes. The gray text page, once a magazine staple, has been all but banished by a new breed of art directors who have gradually made their way up the masthead." I can tell this is true from all the magazines I viewed they were full of color and pictures. I do believe that the bright colors and pictures are more interesting to me than just grey text. Another thing this article states is "They have reduced the amount of text and increased the pictures boxes, and captions". I do believe that people have been having less time to read long wordy magazines and are looking for more color and less text. Now that I have viewed all these sources it has really opened my eyes to how themes, colors, and a target audience really does matter for magazines.
Overall I believe that I would really enjoy making my portfolio project on a magazine. I would make sure to get a target audience, keep a theme, and create a magazine my readers will love.





Comments
Post a Comment