Title Sequence Clips Review

          I never really thought much about the opening scenes of movies. Even though I've watched tons of movies I never looked at how the opening scene beginnings or how much work is put into it. When we watched the opening scene to "Pulp Fiction" I noticed a lot of things. I noticed how the music fit the lettering of the words. I also really enjoyed how they created the opening scene, It was very exciting and kept the audience watching. I know for me it truly got me interested. Another opening scene that really intrigued me was "Scream" it started off with a scene of the first victim being attacked. This made a sense of mystery for the audience. They also used very scary music that also created that sense of mystery. The scene from " Saturday Night Fever" was another one that really was interesting to me. I enjoyed how they showed a lot of character development throughout the beginning of the movie. They also added music that helped with that character development. They did a really great job with character development in the beginning of the movie and it made the audience more intrigued. In the opening scene in "Jaws" it starts out with happy music and a bunch of friends sitting around a campfire. This gives very warm and friendly feelings. But soon after that feeling changes. The scene goes to a much darker tone and the music changes from happy to more mystery. This makes the viewers jump out of their seats to see such a contrast. During the scene transition, the camera angles also turn into more landscape shots then go to low shots and close ups during the attack. These camera shots during the attack make the scene more thrilling.

       The most interesting opening scene to me was from "Apocalypse Now". The opening scene of this movie has two slow motion shots that are combined through a dissolve transition. This creates a sense of restlessness to the audience because this transition lasts for so long. In two scenes transitioning together it is a battle field with fire and the other is the captions head as he is laying down. This shows the audience that the caption has some sort of inner conflict. The battle field with fire is representing the captions inner conflict as he is laying down.

    In the article "First frames: titles in the digital realm" states that when the Filmer has "ability to create opening sequences that tap the heart of each film's theme and subtext" this draws the audience into the movie and grabs the attention of people. This article also states that titles of films are becoming very crucial for getting the audiences attention "Contemporary titles artists are experimenting with text and visuals with infinite variety, through methods such as scanning hand-drawn materials, Photoshop manipulation, 3D and 2D animation programs, and of course After Effects, a program that seems made specifically for the graphic designer in every filmmaker. Specialist titles are becoming an integral part of every film package". 

   When making a film you must be creative and make sure to make the audience entertained. The begging of the film is very important for making the audience interested and wanting to stay and watch the movie. The beginning of the film introduces main characters and gives a sense of what is to come through the movie. So far I believe that film may not be the portfolio project I want to pursue. I believe that I may have a better time with doing a magazine instead of a film. I feel this way because films have a lot of little details and if one thing is messed up the movie won't be interesting.







Comments