Creativity & Genre
Creativity is very important when starting something new and getting ideas. When watching the Ted Talk it showed me different way of thinking about ways we can get creativity. It talked about when the door between your conscious and subconscious is closed no big ideas can arise. One thing the Ted Talk said that I found very interesting was when it said "We are all creative and it will be that creativity that comes to the fore and allows us to survive in a world that will ever be more competitive". This statement really caught my eye because a lot of times our creativity disappears when we grow older. Schools and testing teach students to do the opposite of creative. I believe this is a huge problem. In "An Interview with Ron Beghetto: Subtle Nuances of Creativity in Learning and Life" by Michael F. Shaughnessy it states that "Now it is true that most standardized tests do not recognize or reward students for using different ways to arrive at answers." But the same article also states "Teachers can, and often do, have plenty of room to open up their curriculum to allow students to meet predetermined criteria in different ways." This statements shows that there are still chances for creativity to flourish. In the activity New Introductions it got me to think about things a different way. This activity was something very creative by comparing yourself to some object when introducing yourself to someone. It was a great exercise to get our brains thinking creatively.
Being creative will only grow more useful. According to the Ted Talk it stated in the "Next decade creativity and intuition could be some of that they'll be our survival skills". Making sure to keep creativity is very important for everyone. When coming up with big ideas creativity is the driving factor. Without creativity the world would be a whole different place.
When creating my portfolio this year I will need to be creative and think outside of the box. Making my portfolio creative and different is a great way to stand out. Picking the Genre for my portfolio will also help with how creative I can get. I also will create a catchy selling line to catch the viewers eyes. I reviewed some articles to help me with my creativity.
When reviewing other editors working in my preferred topic I got some great ideas. When I reviewed the magazine "Better Homes and Garden" I found that I really would like to incorporate the visually driven style of the magazine. I believe that is a great eye catcher and a good opportunity for creativity. Unlike what I will be creating this magazine had many different topics. Another magazine I reviewed was "Travel and Leisure" in this magazine I would like to incorporate the kind of journalism they present. This magazine I believe is very creative with the photography and the journalism. I will not have as much experience as they have but I will use my creativity to help.
For my portfolio I am going to focus on Travel and Adventure. My vision is to make it very creative and interesting to read. I will incorporate vivid pictures and some journalism. It will catch the viewers eye.


Comments
Post a Comment