Peer Pitch and Concept Refinement chart

 AICE Media Studies AS

Portfolio Project Concept Refinement

Fall 2020

CATEGORY

DETAILS

Film OR Magazine

Magazine

Genre

Travel

Target Audience (Be specific)

The target audience is adults and people that love adventure.

What is your concept? (Be thorough & specific. Review the links on Blackboard)

The concept of the magazine is to give budget friendly and luxury trips. We will also show hacks on how to save money and airport hacks. For this magazine we will be doing camping trip to Yellow Stone National park. Camping is better idea right now than flying because of the coronavirus. We will show the 12 different campgrounds and the camp sites around the area. We will also show the activities the area provides and how you can remain safe from coronavirus.

How did you conceive the idea for this concept?

We both really enjoy traveling and going on adventures. When we researching and reviewing the magazines, the travel one intrigued us the most.

What do you believe is unique about your concept?

I think our magazine will be unique because we will provide different trips and adventures to fit your budget. We also will incorporate safer options to travel because of the Coronavirus.

Why do you believe this product will be of interest to your audience?

This product will be of interest because it fits different budgets and different types of adventures whether they are big or small. Exp. Small adventure would be kayaking, a park or hiking. Exp. Big adventure would be zip lining, different tours (ghost tours, boat tours), and skiing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FEEDBACK RECEIVED FROM PEERS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·       Incorporate airport flights with different pricing so that it can fit everyone’s budget

·       Try to add different forms of Transportation

·       We will show different places and prices to fly ex: New York 350, Miami 120

·       We will do a different destination “subscription” each month to keep the audience entertained.

·       For this magazine we will doing flight magazine for this magazine because it is not fully safe at this time.

 

 

  When receiving feed back from my fellow pears they seemed to really enjoy the concept of my magazine. But I did receive some helpful feedback on what I need to change. Some feedback I got was that should add more flight costs from a variety of areas. My peers also thought I should maybe bring my idea to be less broad and focus one concept rather than multiple. I will definitely appreciated the feedback I received from my peers. Magazines are becoming less popular, so making sure my peers like my magazine is a great way to see how people will like it when its on the market.

    One article I read called "U.S. Magazine Industry - Statistics & Facts" by Amy Watson states that "The estimated aggregate revenue of U.S. based periodical publishers has fallen sharply in the past decade from 46 billion U.S. dollars in 2007 to around 28 billion in 2017." When seeing this data it wasn't really shocking that a lot of people are starting to move away from magazines. But I have decided to take the challenge of creating a magazine that will catch the readers eye. This is why the peer review I received was very important to me. The purpose of my magazine is to appeal to anyone with any budget who loves to travel. Most magazines about travel, show luxury places none of us can afford. But this magazine will show places everyone can afford. 

    The same article also states "The advent of the internet has changed the print publishing industry drastically. This will be no problem for my magazine because it will be published online but also available in stores in stores. 

   Another article I read was called "Magazine publishing trends for 2019" it states that "...they’ve managed this feat by staying relentlessly focused on one specific category and by thoroughly understanding the types of content and information that their audiences want, need". While reading this article I have found that for new magazines it is important to stick to one topic and become an expert in that topic. I will make sure for my magazine to do research on what people are wanting from travel magazines and what the best travel magazines are doing. 

   The last article was called "The Abundance, Joy, Beauty, Persistence, Power, and Potential of Independent Publishing: A conversation with six black editors" by Camille T. Dungy this article talks about how the publishing industry needs to have more uniqueness and diversity. I believe my magazine will be unique because there is nothing else like it on the market. My magazine will appeal to any person with any budget. This article states "But let's not overlook the fact that this is work, and to accomplish this work well requires diligence." I do know that this magazine is going to be a challenge but I believe we can create a end product that appeals to everyone. It also says "Just this morning I received a social media notification about a young poet we discovered ten years ago--he has since won national awards, published additional collections..." This is something that can be achieved by anyone all you need is to not give up when you fail. For our magazine we will not give up.



Comments